The Beginning of Family at Greer and of the Greer Chapel Family...Did you know? Historical Facts about Greer Chapel
- Founded in 1919 at the present site – that’s 95 years!
- Initially, a 2-classroom wooden structure stood on the site.
- Mr. Motor donated the land to Mr. Charlie Carr and others.
- It housed a school for black youths of the Fannin road and “Creosote Area” communities during the week, serving pre-primer to 8th grade students.
- On 2nd & 4th Sundays, it served as church.
- In 1919, the school building was and Greer Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church was built.
- The original church was built from the lumber of an old house purchased by members of Greer Chapel.
- Window, lumber, chairs, bricks, pulpit furniture, and money were donated to Mr. Ernest Watley by Mr. Underwood, a white patron.
- Reverend Joe Greer was the first pastor; he walked from Jackson across the Pearl River to hold services every 2nd & 4th Sunday.
- Greer Chapel is named after the first pastor, Rev. Joe Greer.
- In 1968, the 1st wooden church building was sold to Saint James Church which used the materials to build a Head start school in Flowood, MS.
- In the same year, the 2nd church was built under the pastorate of Rev. Alfred Nelson; under his leadership, the fellowship hall and kitchen were constructed.
- The vision and faith of the men and women of Greer Chapel – including Mr. & Mrs. Charlie Carr, Mr. & Mrs. Roddy Walker, Mr. & Mrs. Ernest Watley, Mr. & Mrs. Shelley Lee, and Mr. & Mrs. L. E. Johnson, among others – inspired the family – oriented environment for worship that we experience today.
- Under Rev. A. W. Crump, Jr.’s leadership, Greer Chapel extended services to 1st-4th Sundays.
- During Rev. Noah L. Moore’s pastorate, Greer Chapel expanded to the structure we see today.
- Former pastors include, among others, the following: Rev. Handy Triggs, Rev. Alfred Nelson, Rev. Wendell P. Taylor, Rev. A. W. Crump, Jr., Rev. Jerry Collier, Rev. Noah L. Moore, Rev. Maxine Bolden, Rev. Leon Cooper, and Rev. Haywood Hannah (current pastor).
- The Greer Chapel United Methodist Church family entered its newly constructed and renovated structure on March 6, 1999. The new sanctuary was consecrated on Sunday, March 7, 1999.
Come Worship With Us!
Sunday 8:00 AM (First Sunday Only)
Sunday 11:00 AM (Every Sunday)
Wednesday 12:00 PM (Bible Study)
Wednesday 6:00 PM (Bible Study)